Smoke disrupted the astronauts’ night rest on Thursday while batteries from one of the Russian gadgets were charging.
Smoke and fire alarms from the International Space Station were alerted at 3 a.m. Hungarian time on Thursday, Aljazeera writes. Russian space agency Roscosmos reported that plastic batteries were burned while charging batteries in the module Zvezda, but the problem was quickly averted. The space station’s astronauts will continue their Thursday spacewalk despite the accident, the agency added.
This is not the first time questions have been raised about the state of the space station, which has been operating since 1998. Recently, for example, several hours after docking a new module, the missiles of the connecting element were randomly launched, moving the entire station out of orbit. The Russians plan to leave the international center in 2025 and build their own base.